Tag Archives: Bideford archives

One hundred years ago – August 1917.

Meetings are held around the district to mark the 3rd Anniversary of the start of the war. Mr W T Charlwood presided over an evening gathering on Bone Hill. The salute was given by the Scout Bugle Band and prayers … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – June 1917.

Many of the items of interest in this month’s editions are centred around agriculture and the implications the War is having on local businesses and farms. Heard Bros are advertising Avery Farm Tractors for sale with additional tractors on their … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – May 1917.

  The main theme this month is the state of the food supply. In his regular column for allotment holders, “Spadeworker” encourages the growing of carrots as the most important root crop; varieties such as Red Elephant, James Intermediate and … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – April 1917.

On behalf of Miss Penhale, auctioneers Smyth-Richards, Stapleton and Fox are selling two lots of property: ‘Thornbury and Higher Thorne’,a farm of 140 acres with stone and slate buildings and a thatched cottage.  Two arable fields at Horestone Cross, comprising … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – February 1917.

February 1917 saw several radical changes in the Bideford Gazette newspaper. The Great War headlines were still most depressing. There was a least one page in each issue devoted to news from the action across the world – one of … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – December 1916/ January 2017.

The first three issues of the Gazette in December 1916 are full of seasonal cheer of all varieties. W.J. Ridge, Wine merchant of 70 High Street has two adverts – one for Old Scotch Whiskies including “Dew off the Highlands”, … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – November 1916.

Several farms are advertised this month under the “To be let by Tender” columns. Lot 1, South Hill Farm, Little Torrington comprising 157 acres and all the usual farmhouse buildings and two workers’ cottages; Lot 2, Higher Cross Lawn, 11½ … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – October 1916.

This month the newspaper is overwhelmed with news from the war. Several pages are given over to “reports from the Front”. All the villages without exception are announcing casualties, injuries and, sadly, deaths to their men who had been called … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – August 1916.

Hay and Straw Harvest continues – 27 acres of corn in the ground to be sold from Stone Farm, Buckland Brewer, for owner Mr Grigg; 44 acres of corn and rape for Mr Dennis at Adjavin Farm on the outskirts … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – July 1916.

Hay and Straw Harvest.                           The 1916 crop is to be held for Army purposes. Under Defence of the Realm Regulations all hay, oat and wheat straw on the 1916 crop of England and Wales now standing in the field in … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – June 1916.

War-time appeals continue. The Royal Navy appeal to the Bideford men with sea experience to join up for the Yacht Patrol Division in the Royal Navy. Seamen and firemen can be guaranteed £1-10s per week with 10 shillings food allowance … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – May 1916.

War-time savings continue. Street lighting. The Mayor, Mr. F.R. Chope, hopes that in view of the Daylight Saving Bill having been passed by parliament no public lamps should be lit in the town during June, July and August. Paper saving. … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – April 1916.

Mr A.W. Cock has auctioned three freehold properties in the town. These were 7 Elm Grove, 13 Vinegar Hill and a dwelling house and stables at 1 Bull Hill, the latter premises formerly known as ‘The Cornish Arms’. Bideford Borough … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – March 1916.

The death has occurred in his 90th year of the Reverend Hudson G. Heaven, whose family own Lundy Island. He had been parish priest on Lundy for 57 years. The cortege bearing his coffin embarked from Bideford on Captain Dark’s … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – February 1916.

At a meeting of the War Agricultural Committee to discuss the shortage of labour, Mr W. T. Braddick, the Honourable Clerk, said “he was confident that despite the prejudice of many farmers, they would have to utilise women’s labour to … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment