Tag Archives: Bideford Gazette

One hundred years ago – March 1918.

It is reported in the 5th March edition that HMHS ‘Glenart Castle’, a hospital ship, was torpedoed some miles offshore between Hartland Point and Lundy on 26th February. The ship sank in several minutes and only a few of the … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago: February 1918.

During an air raid on London a Gotha bomber was brought down by Captain Hackwell of the Royal Flying Corps. He is the second son of Mr W H Hackwell of Sudden Farm Langtree Torrington and he worked in a … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago; December 1917/ January 1918.

Christmas is coming and in spite of the War, Bideford plans to celebrate the season. The Christmas Market will take place on Friday 21st December. Coles and Lee, trading from the Gazette Office, suggest that handbags make excellent presents, as … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – November 1917.

Children from Bideford schools have collected approximately two tons of horse chestnuts, which will save a ton of cereals in munitions work. North Devon Appeals Courts: Many columns in every edition are given to reporting the proceedings of employers appealing … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – October 1917.

The Borough of Bideford announces, under the powers conferred by the Retail Prices Order 1917, the Sale of coal prices for the forthcoming winter months: Best Lydney House Coal £2.0.0d per ton. £2.2.6d delivered to the customers’ house. Lancashire House … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – September 1917.

Mr Gerrish, chemist, of 9 The Quay, continues his advertising campaign by encouraging readers to take his Tonic Liver Mixture. He states that “your liver, if neglected, will bring utter ruin and an early decay”. His mixture, costing 1/3d per … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – August 1917.

Meetings are held around the district to mark the 3rd Anniversary of the start of the war. Mr W T Charlwood presided over an evening gathering on Bone Hill. The salute was given by the Scout Bugle Band and prayers … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago; July 1917.

Of immediate interest this month is a Notice of Sale of the entire Appledore Gas Works. Established in 1874 on land in a field called Barn Close, which is part of Watertown in the Parish of Northam. The site, leasehold … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – June 1917.

Many of the items of interest in this month’s editions are centred around agriculture and the implications the War is having on local businesses and farms. Heard Bros are advertising Avery Farm Tractors for sale with additional tractors on their … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – May 1917.

  The main theme this month is the state of the food supply. In his regular column for allotment holders, “Spadeworker” encourages the growing of carrots as the most important root crop; varieties such as Red Elephant, James Intermediate and … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – April 1917.

On behalf of Miss Penhale, auctioneers Smyth-Richards, Stapleton and Fox are selling two lots of property: ‘Thornbury and Higher Thorne’,a farm of 140 acres with stone and slate buildings and a thatched cottage.  Two arable fields at Horestone Cross, comprising … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Christmas in Nineteenth-Century Bideford.

by Liz Shakespeare. Today, our local newspapers are full of advertisements for Christmas presents, Christmas events and Christmas meals, but when we look at the newspapers of the nineteenth century, it is apparent that the festival was a less commercial … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – October 1913.

(From the Bideford Gazette, 100 Years ago). Two Bideford miners had a miraculous escape on the morning of October 14th. The Sluman brothers from Honestone Street were working at the Universal Senghenydd Colliery near Caerphilly Glamorgan and had just come … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – August 1913.

Northam The annual Manor Court was held at the Vestry room. The tythingman was JB Penhorwood, Mr J Hearn, the crier, and the wardens J Stanbury and G Mounce. After the ceremony luncheon was taken in the Northam school room. … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One Hundred Years ago – July 1913.

Bideford . The new Bideford United Methodist Church opened in High Street. The celebrations included a public luncheon attended by the Mayor and Corporation. Littleham. The inhabitants of Littleham were delighted to once more hear the merry peal rung on … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment