Tag Archives: Bideford community archive

One hundred years ago – September 1917.

Mr Gerrish, chemist, of 9 The Quay, continues his advertising campaign by encouraging readers to take his Tonic Liver Mixture. He states that “your liver, if neglected, will bring utter ruin and an early decay”. His mixture, costing 1/3d per … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago; July 1917.

Of immediate interest this month is a Notice of Sale of the entire Appledore Gas Works. Established in 1874 on land in a field called Barn Close, which is part of Watertown in the Parish of Northam. The site, leasehold … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – March 2017.

There has been no break in the wintry conditions across the region. The seasonal rise in temperature usually seen during this month was only very slight. Frost and fog have been persistent and snow has fallen on several days – … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – September 1916.

On the front page of the 5th September edition is an advertisement for wooden 5-bar field gates, portable buildings, pigeon fanciers’ lofts and motor car houses. All are constructed in timber (creosoting is extra). The supplier is F. W. Barker … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – December 1915 / January 1916.

In the Children’s Court in Bideford, before Mayor Mr. S. R. Chope and other magistrates, is a 13 year-old boy charges under the Children’s Act with stealing 5 savoy cabbages and 18 broccolis. He was caught red handed with a … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago : April 1915.

Peugeot cars have now arrived in Bideford. The French manufacturer has appointed Heard Bros. as their only dealer across the entire Devon and Cornwall area. Prices range from £125 for a baby 2 seater up to £875 for a 40/50 … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago : March 1915.

The government have announced increased separation allowances for soldier’s families from the first of March: 12/6d for wives, 5/- for the first child, 3/6d for the second and 2/-for any subsequent children. These allowances will finish at the end of … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – July 1914.

(Bideford Community Archive at the Council offices, Windmill Lane, Northam. Tel: 01237 471714) This was one of the first photographs ever to be published in the Bideford Gazette – “Elderly Bideford Resident died at 95 years of age” – “Mrs … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – November 1913.

The water supply problems mentioned last month continue to give considerable concern. Abbotsham Road, High Street and all of Old Town are without water whilst “They scrape the pipes”.   The supply to the workhouse in Meddon Street has been … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment