The house on the cliff edge known locally as “ Spooky House“ or even “Haunted House”! and probably built in the mid 1800. The property was owned by a family called Nixon or de Courcey Nixon who came from Limerick, Ireland and it was in this family’s name for many years.
Brinsley de Courcey Nixon was born in County Limerick, Ireland about 1825 and his occupation at the time of the 1881 Census was given as a Banker in London. Brinsley’s father – Horatio Stopford Nixon, 1787 – 1838 from Cavan, Ireland and was married on 3rd May 1824 to Charlotte Fergus b.1782. Strathore Fifeshire Ireland.
Brinsley de Courcey Nixon was born 5th May 1825 and married on 30th June 1864 in County Limerick Ireland a Caroline Mary GOOLD (GOULD) 1830-1875. He married again on 6th October 1877 in County Limerick Ireland to Francis Evelyn HAMPTON born abt. 1830 London.
The 1891 Census of Northam – Seafield shows the following:
NIXON Lottie – head – Y12 (Y= Born in County)
NIXON Elizabeth – Daugh – Y11
NIXON Fergus B – Son – Y10
NIXON Edward H – Cousi – Y10
NIXON Brinsley – Son – Y5
Luscombe Anna H – Servant – 35 Y Governess
Rodgers Joseph – Servant – 24 Y Butler Employee
Tindale Jane – Servant – 19 Y Kitchen Maid
Mounce Mabel – Servant – 17 Y House Maid
Hoar Emily – Servant – 19 Y Nursery Maid
Kelly’s Directory of 1897 shows the property still in the name of Brinsley de Courcey and the 1901 Census shows the property let to another family – as follows:
William J Pursey – head – 33 Postman postal worker
Elizabeth A – wife – 35 – born Frithelstock
James E – son – 4 – Northam
William H – son – 1 – Northam
Harriet m in law – Widow – 57 – Taunton
Elizabeth Bragg sister – 28 – Uphill
In 1906 the property is shown as being in the name of the son Lieut. Furgess Brinsley Nixon who later became a major with the R.Innis.Fus. – Medals awarded 31st May 1918. On 10th Nov.1903 Gladys Elizabeth Nixon – abt. 1880 – 1960 married Hugh Grosvenor 2nd Baron of Stalbridge born on 5th May 1880 – died on 24th December 1949, on of Richard de Aquila Grosvenor, 1st Baron of Stalbridge and Eleonor Francis Beatrice Hamilton Stubber.
During WW2 the Americans were billeted at Seafield and the surrounding area. Gladys died on 21st March 1960 and as far as our research shows there were no children, and the property was sold, the new owners of Seafield made it a Bed and Breakfast establishment, and it is still owned by the same family.