- 'Impress' regulation.
- Fire matters
- Food & Drink
- From Bideford's Beat.
- Good Age page.
- Local Business
- Local People
- Subscription service.
- You Write
- Young People
Tag Archives: bideford
During the Second World War huge numbers of houses were destroyed by enemy action, and as early as 1944 Winston Churchill announced an EFM (Emergency Factory Made) housing programme. In 1945 the new prime minister Clement Atlee began implementing the … Continue reading
November is a busy month for the Burton. We continue to enjoy Paul Lewin’s spectacular scenes of North Devon in his inimitable style, using the earth pigment, Bideford Black – (there once really was a Paint Mine at East the … Continue reading
Rope Walk today is a narrow but well used roadway running parallel to the Pill. Its name obviously records the presence of the ropemaking industry which was once so important to the ship-owning merchants of Bideford – but how many … Continue reading
Fairs have been visiting Bideford for one hundred and fifty years at least and even though today they face huge competition from computer games and local attractions the travelling show people still come. The history of the fair in Bideford … Continue reading
Shops come and go all the time in all towns, with a few lasting for some time – but even these eventually close. One that fits this latter category is Taylor Brothers’ shoe shop in Mill Street. I first started … Continue reading
The Club began life in 1919 as the stables for the Heavitree Inn. In 1926 it was the Palladium Cinema and the ticket office was situated where Patts’ Fruit and Vegetable shop now is in Mill St. Later it became … Continue reading
This month the newspaper is overwhelmed with news from the war. Several pages are given over to “reports from the Front”. All the villages without exception are announcing casualties, injuries and, sadly, deaths to their men who had been called … Continue reading
Mr A.W. Cock has auctioned three freehold properties in the town. These were 7 Elm Grove, 13 Vinegar Hill and a dwelling house and stables at 1 Bull Hill, the latter premises formerly known as ‘The Cornish Arms’. Bideford Borough … Continue reading
Many thanks to Mr. Freddie Palmer, who provided these photos. We’re sure that they’ll be of interest to many people. “Buzz” is dating the photos of the trawler “Galatea” as 1975, since records show that as date of launch. Names … Continue reading
by Liz Shakespeare. Today, our local newspapers are full of advertisements for Christmas presents, Christmas events and Christmas meals, but when we look at the newspapers of the nineteenth century, it is apparent that the festival was a less commercial … Continue reading
In the Children’s Court in Bideford, before Mayor Mr. S. R. Chope and other magistrates, is a 13 year-old boy charges under the Children’s Act with stealing 5 savoy cabbages and 18 broccolis. He was caught red handed with a … Continue reading
At East–the-Water school during a recent health test it was found that 7 out of 10 children need to wear glasses. The School managers cannot supply them and if the parents cannot afford to buy them there is serious concern … Continue reading
At the Annual meeting of the Bideford Workhouse Guardians it was announced that 26 meetings were held during the year and only 4 of the elected Guardians had attended all meetings. Some had only been present at 10 meetings and … Continue reading
Saturday April 11th saw an interesting event on the Quay when the restored Port Memorial and Ornamental Gardens were re- opened by the Mayor following refurbishment. Councillor David Howell had also organised a ceremony with the Sea Scouts to bury … Continue reading