Tag Archives: bideford buzz

Happy Christmas and New Year to all our readers.

Our front page picture in the paper edition of “Buzz” is a unique Christmas card, designed by well-known local artist and potter Harry Juniper for “Buzz”. Harry told me about his connection with Bideford Art School. He was taught by … Continue reading

Posted in Buzz Word | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

“Buzz” subscriptions, for paper copies.

If you’re reading this, obviously you are able to access “Buzz” content online (including our many archived copies, under ‘Downloads’). If in future you’d like to receive a paper copy through the post every month, to send a copy to … Continue reading

Posted in Subscription service. | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Regulation by “Impress” – “Buzz” complaints procedure.

“Bideford Buzz” is now regulated by ‘Impress’, the independent press regulator. Making a complaint. We can look into complaints about items we have published which are in our control. We adhere to the Standards Code adopted by IMPRESS and can … Continue reading

Posted in 'Impress' regulation. | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago ; August 1915.

From August 16th there will be a reduction in Mail deliveries due to a shortage of staff, many men having enlisted. There will be only 3 deliveries per day rather than the usual 5, at 7.00 am, 1.50 pm and … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago : February 1915.

2nd February 1915. The Union of London and Smiths Bank, who have an agency here in Bideford, have appointed girl clerks in one of their offices for the first time. This is seen as a radical step, as banking has … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged | Leave a comment

Bideford Races, May 1928.

This advertisement comes from the Bideford Gazette for 1928 currently housed at the Bideford Archive. The archive is run by volunteers, and you will find it is a mine of information on Torridge district; not just births, marriages and deaths, … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – April 1914.

This month we are looking at the changes that are coming to transportation. An April edition of the newspaper contained a report from the Magistrates Court of a man who was charged with “using a broken down horse” and subjecting … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – November 1913.

The water supply problems mentioned last month continue to give considerable concern. Abbotsham Road, High Street and all of Old Town are without water whilst “They scrape the pipes”.   The supply to the workhouse in Meddon Street has been … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – September 1913.

Bideford During the course of building operations on the Bideford Long Bridge some sections of oak were discovered,evidently part of the older portion of the Bridge constructed nearly 300 years ago. Although black with age they are in perfect preservation. … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One Hundred Years ago – July 1913.

Bideford . The new Bideford United Methodist Church opened in High Street. The celebrations included a public luncheon attended by the Mayor and Corporation. Littleham. The inhabitants of Littleham were delighted to once more hear the merry peal rung on … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Street art.

_____________________________________________________________________

Posted in Environment, News, Photography | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

One Hundred years ago – June 1913.

Abbotsham The gnarled old oak tree, which had been a landmark and parish notice posting station in the square outside the parish church for centuries past ,having at last been overtaken with decay at the roots has been removed. Its … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged | 1 Comment

One Hundred years ago – May 1913.

(From Bideford Gazette. Compiled by Mike Davy) Steamer lost near Hartland. The Uruquay steamer Oliyamria brought the crew of the Spanish steamer Paz to Swansea, the steamer having sunk between Lundy island and Hartland Point during fog. Empire Day The … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One Hundred Years ago – April 1913.

(From Bideford Gazette. Compiled by Mike Davy) Manor Court The occasion attracted so little public notice that the only person present in addition to the Mayor, Council, the Jury and officials was the representative of the Bideford Gazette ! Church … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Some memories of World War 2 in Bideford.

REME soldiers were stationed at Instow and many families made friends with them. The church in Bridge St on a Sunday evening hosted by various churches would put on a singsong after church services, and somehow provided simple refreshments for … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment