Tag Archives: Bideford archives

One hundred years ago: October 1915.

The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway Co. advised that the Sunday train service would be discontinued from October 10th 1915 until May 7th 1916. It was also announced that from November 1915 the down night mail train would not … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – September 1915.

When the Bideford Workhouse Guardians held their monthly meeting it was reported there was little change in the numbers seeking help and support. On the 8th September there were 84 people housed indoors at Meddon Street, 9 casuals had been … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago ; August 1915.

From August 16th there will be a reduction in Mail deliveries due to a shortage of staff, many men having enlisted. There will be only 3 deliveries per day rather than the usual 5, at 7.00 am, 1.50 pm and … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago : July 1915.

At East–the-Water school during a recent health test it was found that 7 out of 10 children need to wear glasses. The School managers cannot supply them and if the parents cannot afford to buy them there is serious concern … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago : June 1915.

The Gazette was proud to announce that 2nd class Air Mechanic J E Prance of the Royal Flying Corps has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallant conduct and valuable service. He assisted in repairing an aeroplane, which had … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago : May 1915.

At the Annual meeting of the Bideford Workhouse Guardians it was announced that 26 meetings were held during the year and only 4 of the elected Guardians had attended all meetings. Some had only been present at 10 meetings and … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – December 1914/ January 1915.

In early December the well-known local song “The Lads that are away” is published by Vernon Boyle and Keal Parkhouse as a tribute to all who have volunteered for the war effort and are now spread as far as India … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – November 1914.

The town is beginning to receive civilian and military casualties from the war across the channel. Six Belgian refugees have arrived in Bideford and will be looked after by Dr. Goddard in his Bridgeland Street house. A total of 21 … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – October 1914.

War News. One hundred and twenty recruits from Bideford have joined the 6th Devon Territorials since the outbreak of war. Those leaving recently include H Woodyatt, E Taylor, R Stoneman, E W Kelway, E Bray, H J Harding, E Symons … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – September 1914.

from Bideford Community Archives, Windmill Lane Northam, tel 01237-471714 The first local casualty of the War . Captain T.S. Wickham, DSO, of the 2nd Manchester Regiment, who was the youngest son of T. T. Wickham JP and former mayor of … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – August 1914.

“Your King and Country needs you”. (Bideford Gazette August 1914) The Motor Omnibus service from Bideford to Clovelly and Hartland has been inaugurated. Mr Henry Sowden is in charge. The cars are 21 feet in length and coloured green. The … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – May 1914.

This month we have decided to focus on the perennially popular subject of fashion. The ‘Gazette’ devoted a column each week to ladies clothing illustrated with drawings of the garments, some of which are shown here. Going by these pictures … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Bideford Races, May 1928.

This advertisement comes from the Bideford Gazette for 1928 currently housed at the Bideford Archive. The archive is run by volunteers, and you will find it is a mine of information on Torridge district; not just births, marriages and deaths, … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – April 1914.

This month we are looking at the changes that are coming to transportation. An April edition of the newspaper contained a report from the Magistrates Court of a man who was charged with “using a broken down horse” and subjecting … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – March 1914.

On Sunday 15th March 1914 a heavy gale passed over the region. Vessels in both Appledore and Bideford, although double moored, were swamped and one barge had a mast carried away. The Burrows were under water and the river Torridge … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment