- 'Impress' regulation.
- Buzz Word
- Fire matters
- Food & Drink
- From Bideford's Beat.
- Good Age page.
- Local Business
- Local People
- Subscription service.
- You Write
- Young People
Category Archives: History
“Buzz” was contacted in June by Roger Banfield of Scilly seeking information on the schooner “Vivid”, built in Bideford in 1851 (see Shipping Notes 136, July edition). Mr. Banfield undertakes maritime history research for his own interest, and also in … Continue reading
Hay and Straw Harvest. The 1916 crop is to be held for Army purposes. Under Defence of the Realm Regulations all hay, oat and wheat straw on the 1916 crop of England and Wales now standing in the field in … Continue reading
War-time appeals continue. The Royal Navy appeal to the Bideford men with sea experience to join up for the Yacht Patrol Division in the Royal Navy. Seamen and firemen can be guaranteed £1-10s per week with 10 shillings food allowance … Continue reading
In May 1940, Martin Coles Harman, the owner of Lundy, made the surprising decision to lease the island for a period of ten years to a Mr. Herbert A. Van Os. His reasons have never been fully understood, but … Continue reading
War-time savings continue. Street lighting. The Mayor, Mr. F.R. Chope, hopes that in view of the Daylight Saving Bill having been passed by parliament no public lamps should be lit in the town during June, July and August. Paper saving. … Continue reading
Mr A.W. Cock has auctioned three freehold properties in the town. These were 7 Elm Grove, 13 Vinegar Hill and a dwelling house and stables at 1 Bull Hill, the latter premises formerly known as ‘The Cornish Arms’. Bideford Borough … Continue reading
The death has occurred in his 90th year of the Reverend Hudson G. Heaven, whose family own Lundy Island. He had been parish priest on Lundy for 57 years. The cortege bearing his coffin embarked from Bideford on Captain Dark’s … Continue reading
Many thanks to Mr. Freddie Palmer, who provided these photos. We’re sure that they’ll be of interest to many people. “Buzz” is dating the photos of the trawler “Galatea” as 1975, since records show that as date of launch. Names … Continue reading
At a meeting of the War Agricultural Committee to discuss the shortage of labour, Mr W. T. Braddick, the Honourable Clerk, said “he was confident that despite the prejudice of many farmers, they would have to utilise women’s labour to … Continue reading
by Liz Shakespeare. Today, our local newspapers are full of advertisements for Christmas presents, Christmas events and Christmas meals, but when we look at the newspapers of the nineteenth century, it is apparent that the festival was a less commercial … Continue reading
In the Children’s Court in Bideford, before Mayor Mr. S. R. Chope and other magistrates, is a 13 year-old boy charges under the Children’s Act with stealing 5 savoy cabbages and 18 broccolis. He was caught red handed with a … Continue reading
Messrs. I. Baker & Son of Brunswick House report that their lime kiln is now in full work. They are currently burning Lime for Agricultural Purposes. Telephone Bideford 85 or send Telegrams to ‘Baker & Son’. Bideford Rural District Council … Continue reading
The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway Co. advised that the Sunday train service would be discontinued from October 10th 1915 until May 7th 1916. It was also announced that from November 1915 the down night mail train would not … Continue reading
When the Bideford Workhouse Guardians held their monthly meeting it was reported there was little change in the numbers seeking help and support. On the 8th September there were 84 people housed indoors at Meddon Street, 9 casuals had been … Continue reading