Category Archives: History

Local history, pictures, stories.

The Devon Newfoundland story, 3rd-16th April.

The Devonshire Association, working with the Devon Family History Society, is marking nearly 500 years of contact and interaction between the people of Devon and Newfoundland Devon has strong historic links with the Canadian island of Newfoundland, dating back to … Continue reading

Posted in Events, History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Bideford’s Newfoundland links & the Chope Collection.

Devon has strong historic links with the Canadian Province of Newfoundland dating back to the 16th Century, when boats from local ports sailed to the waters of Newfoundland to fish for cod. Initially men left Devon in April and returned … Continue reading

Posted in Books, History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – March 2017.

There has been no break in the wintry conditions across the region. The seasonal rise in temperature usually seen during this month was only very slight. Frost and fog have been persistent and snow has fallen on several days – … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – February 1917.

February 1917 saw several radical changes in the Bideford Gazette newspaper. The Great War headlines were still most depressing. There was a least one page in each issue devoted to news from the action across the world – one of … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – December 1916/ January 2017.

The first three issues of the Gazette in December 1916 are full of seasonal cheer of all varieties. W.J. Ridge, Wine merchant of 70 High Street has two adverts – one for Old Scotch Whiskies including “Dew off the Highlands”, … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – November 1916.

Several farms are advertised this month under the “To be let by Tender” columns. Lot 1, South Hill Farm, Little Torrington comprising 157 acres and all the usual farmhouse buildings and two workers’ cottages; Lot 2, Higher Cross Lawn, 11½ … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – October 1916.

This month the newspaper is overwhelmed with news from the war. Several pages are given over to “reports from the Front”. All the villages without exception are announcing casualties, injuries and, sadly, deaths to their men who had been called … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – September 1916.

On the front page of the 5th September edition is an advertisement for wooden 5-bar field gates, portable buildings, pigeon fanciers’ lofts and motor car houses. All are constructed in timber (creosoting is extra). The supplier is F. W. Barker … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – August 1916.

Hay and Straw Harvest continues – 27 acres of corn in the ground to be sold from Stone Farm, Buckland Brewer, for owner Mr Grigg; 44 acres of corn and rape for Mr Dennis at Adjavin Farm on the outskirts … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

HMS ‘Alliance’ visits Lundy.

During the month of April 1967, the submarine HMS ‘Alliance’ was operating in home waters in the South of England and for a day or two anchored off Lundy. One submariner, whose name is unknown, came ashore and probably spent … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Two Bideford-built schooners of the Nineteenth Century.

“Buzz” was contacted in June by Roger Banfield of Scilly seeking information on the schooner “Vivid”, built in Bideford in 1851 (see Shipping Notes 136, July edition). Mr. Banfield undertakes maritime history research for his own interest, and also in … Continue reading

Posted in History, Shipping | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – July 1916.

Hay and Straw Harvest.                           The 1916 crop is to be held for Army purposes. Under Defence of the Realm Regulations all hay, oat and wheat straw on the 1916 crop of England and Wales now standing in the field in … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – June 1916.

War-time appeals continue. The Royal Navy appeal to the Bideford men with sea experience to join up for the Yacht Patrol Division in the Royal Navy. Seamen and firemen can be guaranteed £1-10s per week with 10 shillings food allowance … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Lundy’s wartime farming problems.

  In May 1940, Martin Coles Harman, the owner of Lundy, made the surprising decision to lease the island for a period of ten years to a Mr. Herbert A. Van Os. His reasons have never been fully understood, but … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – May 1916.

War-time savings continue. Street lighting. The Mayor, Mr. F.R. Chope, hopes that in view of the Daylight Saving Bill having been passed by parliament no public lamps should be lit in the town during June, July and August. Paper saving. … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment