Monthly Archives: April 2016

Lundy’s wartime farming problems.

  In May 1940, Martin Coles Harman, the owner of Lundy, made the surprising decision to lease the island for a period of ten years to a Mr. Herbert A. Van Os. His reasons have never been fully understood, but … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago – May 1916.

War-time savings continue. Street lighting. The Mayor, Mr. F.R. Chope, hopes that in view of the Daylight Saving Bill having been passed by parliament no public lamps should be lit in the town during June, July and August. Paper saving. … Continue reading

Posted in History | Tagged , | Leave a comment