One hundred years ago – September 1913.

Bideford

During the course of building operations on the Bideford Long Bridge some sections of oak were discovered,evidently part of the older portion of the Bridge constructed nearly 300 years ago. Although black with age they are in perfect preservation.

Upwards of 30 men are now engaged on the remaking of the Bideford to Hartland road,mostly at the Hartland end . The work will probably take about sixteen months to complete and about 80 men will be engaged on it.

The annual exhibition of oil and water colour paintings and sketches by Mr H Percy Heard, the art master and director of the Bideford Municipal Science,Art and Technical school is currently being held.

Appledore

The Appledore Boy Scout Bugle band scoutmasters Green and Vaggers, visited Braunton on the occasion of the Carnival. The boys were dressed as Roman Soldiers and they received a splendid reception, gaining a second prize.

Mike Davy. (From Bideford Archives).

_______________________________________________________

This entry was posted in History and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*